This soup has my favorite ingredients: spinach, mushrooms and Tortellini. I originally found this recipe through Weight Watchers 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Recipes magazine (Winter 2011). My preference is to make it with Spinach Tortellini and more fresh baby spinach.
This makes a large batch. I actually get far more servings out of it than six. It will keep in the fridge all week. The Tortellini does get over done with reheating so sometimes I reduce the amount of cook time on the front end knowing I will be cooking it again to reheat during the week.
- 3 ½ cups fat-free, low-sodium or sodium-free chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 9-ounce package of Buitoni Spinach Tortellini (or Tortellini of your preference)
- Pam Original cooking spray
- 8- ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 1 bundle of fresh baby spinach (washed with stems removed)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Combine chicken broth and water in large stock pot. Bring to boil. Stir in Tortellini and cook according to package directions. Do not add oil or salt at this stage to the broth.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and sauté mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes until mushrooms soften.
- Add mushroom mixture to broth in large pot. Bring to boil again using high heat. Once boiling add spinach, pepper and salt. Cook 1 minute or until spinach is wilted. Serve immediately.