This is a staple in my house. I change the balance of ingredients and level of spice quite often. Lean ground pork is a nice alternative to turkey bacon.
In a large bowl, add crumbled bacon, scallions, shallot, green chiles, Egg Beaters®, yogurt, sour cream, and seasonings. Mix well.
I prefer to layer my ingredients a couple of times. I pour 1/2 mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
Top with 1/2 of the bag of hash browns.
Next, top with all of the shredded cheese.
Then layer on hash browns. Push the potatoes down into the mixture using a spatula till you see mixture coming through evenly across the top. Top of potatoes should slightly moist.
Bake, serve and enjoy!
- 12 slices crispy cooked Jenni-O® turkey bacon strips
- 3 scallions, finely chopped (use both white and green portions)
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 4 oz can of Ortega® fire roasted diced chiles (mild or hot)
- ¾ cup Egg Beaters® (3 egg equivalent)
- 1 cup plain Chobani® Greek non-fat yogurt
- ½ cup Daisy® lite sour cream
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Mrs. Dash® Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- ½ cup shredded low-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1 -20 oz package Simply Potatoes®, shredded hash browns
- Pam® olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 8 x 10 inch Pyrex® baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon in microwave using paper towels to soak up fat. Take two paper towels, un-separated. Place 6 bacon strips on one paper, then fold the other over top. Cook in microwave for 4 minutes and 45 seconds until well done and crispy. Repeat with 6 remaining bacon strips. Crumble cooked strips on clean paper towel and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add crumbled bacon, scallions, shallot, green chiles, Egg Beaters®, yogurt, sour cream, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly. Next, top with shredded cheese and then layer on hash browns. Push the potatoes down into the mixture using a spatula till you see mixture coming through evenly across the top. Top of potatoes should slightly moist.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes. If your Pyrex® dish is safe for this, to crisp the hash browns, place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. (I crisp single servings individually.)
- Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes to set. Cut into 6 slices.
Weight Watcher® Disclaimer: I calculate nutritional facts and PointsPlus Values for all my recipes for informational purposes only. This is not an endorsement, sponsorship or approval of any of my recipes by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the WEIGHT WATCHERS and Points Plus trademarks.
Recipe by MyHealthyVegas. Please do not post or reprint this recipe without my permission. If you'd like to feature this recipe on your site, please rewrite the method of preparation and link to this post as the original source.
My Recipe Inspiration: This recipe was found on one of my favorite foodie links SkinnyKitchen.com. I adapted the recipe for Skinny Hash Browns, Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Casserole to suit my tastes.