I was originally inspired several years ago by a Weight Watchers friendly recipe for fried rice. Over several years I have made many versions of it. I primarily use diced Canadian bacon or shrimp. Edamame is always a staple. Rice can be jasmine or brown. Depends on your tastes. I also prefer egg alternatives over natural eggs.
Gather three prep dishes so that you can prepare ingredients in batches before combining them together. I stage my cooked rice in a rice cooker till needed. It usually takes about 30 minutes to cook prior to making the fried rice.
I spray the skillet with nonstick spray in between batches to ensure food does not stick.
Cook, Serve and Enjoy!
- • 2 cups cooked rice (jasmine or brown)
- • ½ cup frozen peas
- • ½ cup frozen shelled edamame
- • 1 thinly sliced carrot
- • 4 diced green onions
- • 12 oz of chopped frozen shrimp, thawed, deveined and shelled
- • Or
- • 1 pkg of chopped Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon
- • 1 egg or Egg Beater equivalent
- • 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- • 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- • 1 Tbsp Oyster sauce
- Heat a large nonstick skillet sprayed with nonstick spray over medium heat.
- Add raw carrots with a splash of water and cover. Cook till carrots start to soften, 4 mins.
- Add frozen vegetables, stir and cover. Let cook for another 4 min. You may want to stir and turn down flame to keep edamame and carrots from getting too brown. Unless of course you like them that way! If there is too much moisture in the skillet from frozen veggies you can remove cover and turn down the burner temp.
- Remove vegetables from skillet and put in one of the prep dishes.
- Scramble one egg or egg alternative equivalent and add to skillet. Cook egg to your desired doneness. I do not over do mine as I know it will go back into the skillet again later.
- Remove egg from skillet and put in one of the prep dishes.
- Add shrimp or ham to skillet and cook. You just want to heat enough to give the ham some color and bring out the smokiness. When cooking shrimp make sure it is no longer pink.
- Remove cooked ham or shrimp and put in one of the prep dishes.
- Drizzle sesame oil across skillet and add rice to skillet. Stir with spatula to make sure oil and rice get combined. Heat for 4 mins on med/low setting.
- Add vegetables to skillet and stir well. Drizzle soy sauce across the skillet and stir well again. Heat for 2 mins.
- Add ham/shrimp, green onions and egg to skillet mixture and stir. Drizzle oyster sauce and stir to combine. Heat long enough that all the added ingredients get heated through. 2 mins.
- Remove skillet from heat and serve.