I was searching for recipes that used ground turkey in flavorful ways. I happened upon a recipe from Well Plated by Erin for PF Chang knock off lettuce wraps. These are easy, low fat turkey lettuce wraps! Recipe can still be WW blue friendly if made with lean ground beef or chicken. I cooked the meat on Sunday for lunches throughout the work week.
The most difficult part is finding quality lettuce that will hold your wraps. I really think you could use other types of lettuce besides butter lettuce. Whatever is in season and best quality.
Cooking the turkey in the slow cooker is so easy. Add your browned meat to the cooker.
Stir in your sauce, carrots and white parts of green onion.
Reserve the chestnuts and green parts of the green onions for later on in the cooking process.
After 2 hours on low it is ready to serve. Add your chestnuts and remaining onion.
- • ½ cup hoisin sauce
- • ¼ cup + 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- • 2 tsp sesame oil
- • 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- • 2 lbs ground turkey
- • 6-9 green onions thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- • 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- • 2 garlic cloves minced
- • 8 oz baby bella mushrooms finely chopped
- • 1½ cup grated carrots
- • 2 - 8 oz cans water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- • 2 heads butter lettuce
- • Sriracha sauce for serving
- Spray larger slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey and brown the meat, breaking it into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in the white parts of the green onions, ginger, and garlic. Heat through 30 seconds.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the slow cooker. Stir in the chopped mushrooms, carrots, and the sauce you set aside earlier. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours until the sauce thickens and the turkey is tender. (Do not cook on high, as lean meats will become tough.)
- While slow cooker is doing its thing, separate your lettuce leaves, wash and pat them dry. You only need to prep as much as you are going to use. Figure two leaves layered together for each wrap. I was able to fill three wraps with a cup of meat.
- When slow cooker time has elapsed, stir in the water chestnuts and green parts of the green onions.
- Fill two layered wraps with the meat mixture. Top with sriracha sauce to taste.
- Remaining meat can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator for meals during the week. Do not combine it ahead of time with the lettuce.
My Recipe Inspiration: https://www.wellplated.com/asian-lettuce-wraps/.