My favorite way to use leftovers from Thanksgiving is to create a turkey pot pie. I typically have left over turkey, dressing, mash potatoes and gravy. I then add some cooked frozen mixed veggies and we are good to go.
I layer the ingredients into a ready-made frozen pie crust. I always prep my top crust before I start anything else. It always takes longer than you think it should.
You will begin by layering your ingredients into a frozen ready made pie crust. Here we have layered chopped turkey on top of dressing.
After pouring gravy onto the turkey and dressing layers, we add the cooked mixed vegetables.
Now we add the final ingredient of mashed potatoes before adding the top crust.
- Marie Callender’s frozen deep dish pastry pie shells
- 1 cup cooked dressing
- 1 cup chopped, cooked turkey (white and dark meat)
- ½ cup turkey gravy
- 1 cup cooked mixed vegetables
- 1 cup cooked mashed potatoes
- White flour (for prepping top pie crust) A generously flour dusted rolling pin is very helpful here too.
- Water for working the top pie crust
- Set aside one shell for the top crust. Place that one shell from pan onto wax paper. You are going to allow it to thaw a bit until pliable, about 20 minutes.
- Place second shell in the tin on baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- After 20 mins. work to flatten the shell on the wax paper into a smooth round form. You will need flour, water and lots of hand work to get it smoothed out. It should be slightly larger in circumference than your baking tin.
- Begin layering in filling in the shell in the tin. Here is the order bottom to top: Dressing – press this into the bottom of the pie,Turkey,Gravy – you want the gravy to soak through the turkey to the dressing. I like to keep a jar of pre-made gravy on hand in case I need more.Mixed veggies,Mashed potatoes.
- Once you have all the ingredients layered into the bottom pie shell, place thawed shell on top of pie. If you keep it on the paper and invert it over the filled crust it will be easier to handle. Seal it by crimping edge with a fork and/or fingers (remove excess dough if desired). Gently cut 4 - 1” slits in a star formation in the center to vent or use specialty pie crust cutters to create ventilation and beautify your pot pie.
- Place pie on baking sheet in center of oven according to your recipe. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sometimes I back down the temperature to 400° F after 15 mins. depending on my oven. All your ingredients are pre-cooked so you need to focus on cooking the pie shell to 165° F. Everything inside just has to be heated through. I cover the edges of pie after allowing it to brown slightly after 15-20 mins. You can use a silicone pie edge cover or a strip of aluminum foil to cover while baking.